Take on the trip of a lifetime
Join us on the Great Wall in 2019, one of the 7 Wonders of the World, all whilst making an incredible difference to the RUH and its patients.
Join us on this once in a lifetime trekking adventure to conquer the twists, turns, steps and slopes on one of the Wonders of the World – the legendary Great Wall of China. We’ll cross all types of incredibly challenging terrain, through old parts of the wall and new, to witness magnificent panoramas of luscious, rolling green hills as far as the eye can see! We’ll climb the 1000 steps of the iconic Heavenly Ladder, explore crumbling watch towers and battlement stations and immerse ourselves in the fascinating Chinese culture. You’ll also become part of history as you help rebuild part of the Wall, before some free time to explore Beijing, China’s capital where ancient and modern history meet.
- Trek 36km along one of the Seven Wonders of the World – due to the number of steps you will trek up and down each day, it can sometimes take an hour to trek just 1km!
- Cover some of the most untouched sections of the Great Wall
- Explore all types of terrain, from jungle and crumbling steps to restored, civilised paths
- Once in a lifetime, exclusive opportunity to help rebuild a watch-tower and leave your mark in China
- Enjoy a toboggan ride down part of the wall
- Conquer the iconic 1000 steps of the Heavenly Ladder
- A chance to explore Beijing’s world-famous sites, like the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven and the famous Tiananmen Square
- Experience traditional Chinese culture and cuisine
- Meet mutual supporters of the Forever Friends Appeal and share each other’s stories for motivation and support
The money you raise by trekking the Great Wall will touch the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients and their families cared for by the RUH every year. Every step you take will help our patients through some of life’s toughest challenges and make sure they receive the best possible care. You can choose to support our Cancer Care Campaign, RNHRD & Therapies Centre or another ward or department that is close to your heart.
Please ensure you read the terms & conditions before signing up for the event. You will be asked to agree to them when registering.
Glastonbury Founder Michael Eavis CBE will be opening the start of the walk’s marathon route in Bishops Cannings for the third time, as he’s always so inspired by our walkers and the lengths they go (or should we say walk!), to support patients and give back to the Hospital.
Don’t just take our word for it!
“A large proportion of the cardiac patients we see in hospital could avoid a pathway of medications, such as statins, and major invasive procedures if the NHS was able to offer enhanced lifestyle programmes” Dr Ali Khavandi, Consultant CardiologistDr Ali Khavandi, Consultant Cardiologist