Explore the spiritual home of the Dalai Lama.
Join us as we travel to India in September 2020 and trek through the home of the Dalai Lama, all whilst making an incredible difference to the RUH and its patients.
Beginning in Dharamsala (the heart of the Tibetan community), we’ll trek through the beautiful Indian Himalayas, rhododendron forests and high up in alpine meadows surrounded by snow-capped peaks. You’ll pass through traditional Hindu settlements, temples and Buddhist Monasteries before celebrating your achievement with a visit to the iconic Taj Mahal.
NEW for 2020: our trekkers will also spend a day volunteering at a school along the route – an incredible opportunity to spend time with and give back to the community that shares their home with those who wish to explore it.
- Trek through breath-taking mountain ranges and take in the spectacular scenery of the Indian Himalayas
- Explore the spiritual home and heritage of the Dalai Lama
- Visit the Taj Mahal – a new Wonder of the World
- Experience traditional Indian culture and cuisine
- Meet fellow supporters of the Forever Friends Appeal and share the experience of a lifetime together.
The money you raise by taking part in our India Dalai Lama Trek will touch the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients and their families cared for by the RUH every year. Every step you take will help our patients through some of life’s toughest challenges and make sure they receive care in the best possible environment, at a time they need it most.
Option A – Minimum Sponsorship
Registration Fee £349 + Min Sponsorship £3200 + Airport Tax and Fuel Surcharge Contribution: £250
Option B – Self-funding
Registration Fee £349 + Self Funding £1606 + Airport Tax and Fuel Surcharge Contribution: £250
Please note: This challenge is in collaboration with Global Adventure Challenges Ltd (ATOL 6506) who organise and manage the logistics of the trek. They are experienced world-wide challenge organisers who have been delivering adventures since 2000 and are the experts with regards to the trek itself!
We understand that taking on a challenge of this scale can be a big commitment, but put your mind to it and you can achieve anything beyond your wildest dreams! That’s why we’re here – to support you from day one to make sure you have an incredible and unforgettable adventure, both on the trek and during your fundraising.
When you join us you’ll also receive:
- A dedicated fundraising pack with training tips and fundraising ideas
- Your very own Forever Friends Appeal trekking team t-shirt
- Expert fundraising support from a member of our team, any time you need it
- Fundraising materials including balloons, banners and collection tins
- An invitation to take part in the Walk of Life (our marathon canal walk on 16th May 2020) for free to help with your training
- Option to take part in UK based training weekends run by Global Adventure Challenges
- Access to private Facebook Group so that you can chat to your fellow trekkers before departure
- Opportunity to meet your trekking team at a meet-up about one month before your adventure begins
Arrive Delhi. Then take overnight train to Pathankot.
Arrive Pathankot and transfer to Dharamsala – home of the Dalai Lama.
Trek Dharamsala to Kareri (2,070m). Approx. 12km / 7 – 8 hours..
Trek Kareri to Bal Village (2,330m). Approx. 12km / 7 – 8 hours..
Trek Bal Village to Triund (2,995m). Approx. 10km / 8-9 hours.
Trek Triund to Snowline Cafe. Approx. 9km / 6 – 7 hours..
Trek Triund to Bhagsu Nag. Approx. 7km / 5 – 6 hours.. Transfer to Dharamsala for celebratory meal.
Free morning Dharamsala. Transfer to Pathankot for overnight train to Delhi.
Arrive Delhi and transfer to Agra. Visit Taj Mahal.
Early transfer to Delhi for flight to UK arriving same day.
Please find information from the Global Adventure Challenges website regarding responsible tourism.
Aiding Local Economy
For all overseas challenges, we work in conjunction with small, local ground handlers who work to our preference of employing local guides and staff. Using as much local infrastructure as possible means that we can preserve the local economies and ‘give back’. We aim to ensure that all local guides and staff are given a fair wage in accordance with appropriate local standards. On top of this, it means we can ensure that all our challenges have been designed and are delivered with the knowledge of local people!
We’ve teamed up with Climate Care to encourage all our participants to offset the carbon emitted from taking flights as part of an International Challenge.
Climate Care is a service that reduces greenhouse gasses on behalf of individuals and organisations, compensating for their impact on the climate. They do this by ‘offsetting’ the greenhouse gasses – such as CO2 – emitted from your activities by reducing an equivalent amount on your behalf, through a range of projects. These projects use sustainable energy technologies, that not only fight climate change but can bring widespread benefits to communities around the world. You can offset emissions from flying, driving and even energy used around the house.
For more information, visit https://climatecare.org/calculator where you can use their online calculator to work out how much you should offset.
Do your bit to help preserve our wonderful landscape for future generations to explore and marvel.
If you wanted to start fundraising now, please go ahead! JustGiving is the online sponsorship platform we recommend to all our fundraisers. It’s quick to set up and simple to use.
- Your friends and family can sponsor at the click of a button
- You can keep track of donations
- No need to use a sponsorship form
- Your sponsorship will automatically be sent to us – you don’t need to do anything
Read our event news
- 26 Apr 2020
- 26 Apr 2020