Join us on the Great Wall in 2019, one of the 7 Wonders of the World, all whilst making an incredible difference to the RUH and its patients.
Join us on this once in a lifetime trekking adventure to conquer the twists, turns, steps and slopes on one of the Wonders of the World – the legendary Great Wall of China. We’ll cross all types of incredibly challenging terrain, through old parts of the wall and new, to witness magnificent panoramas of luscious, rolling green hills as far as the eye can see! We’ll climb the 1000 steps of the iconic Heavenly Ladder, explore crumbling watch towers and battlement stations and immerse ourselves in the fascinating Chinese culture. You’ll also become part of history as you help rebuild part of the Wall, before some free time to explore Beijing, China’s capital where ancient and modern history meet.
- Trek 36km along one of the Seven Wonders of the World – due to the number of steps you will trek up and down each day, it can sometimes take an hour to trek just 1km!
- Cover some of the most untouched sections of the Great Wall
- Explore all types of terrain, from jungle and crumbling steps to restored, civilised paths
- Once in a lifetime, exclusive opportunity to help rebuild a watch-tower and leave your mark in China
- Enjoy a toboggan ride down part of the wall
- Conquer the iconic 1000 steps of the Heavenly Ladder
- A chance to explore Beijing’s world-famous sites, like the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven and the famous Tiananmen Square
- Experience traditional Chinese culture and cuisine
- Meet mutual supporters of the Forever Friends Appeal and share each other’s stories for motivation and support
The money you raise by trekking the Great Wall will touch the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients and their families cared for by the RUH every year. Every step you take will help our patients through some of life’s toughest challenges and make sure they receive the best possible care. You can choose to support our Cancer Care Campaign, RNHRD & Therapies Centre or another ward or department that is close to your heart.+ Supporting you every step of the way (click here)
We understand that taking on a challenge of this scale can be a big commitment, but put your mind to it and you can achieve anything beyond your wildest dreams! That’s why we’re here – to support you from day one to make sure you have an incredible and unforgettable adventure, both on the trek and during your fundraising.
When you join us you’ll also receive:
- A dedicated fundraising pack with training tips and fundraising ideas
- Your very own Forever Friends Appeal trekking team t-shirt
- Expert fundraising support from a member of our team, any time you need it
- Fundraising materials including balloons, banners and collection tins
- An invitation to take part in the Walk of Life (our marathon canal walk in May) for free to help with your training
- Option to take part in UK based training weekends run by Global Adventure Challenges
- Access to private Facebook Group so that you can chat to your fellow trekkers before departure
To find out more about Trek the Great Wall including an in-depth itinerary, what’s included and payment option details (you can choose minimum sponsorship or self-funding), please request an Information Pack here or give our Events Team a call on 01225 825823.
Please note: We are working with Global Adventure Challenges Ltd (ATOL 6506) who organise and manage the trek. They are experienced world-wide challenge organisers who have been delivering adventures since 2000!
Don’t just take our word for it…
“The most amazing and difficult thing I’ve ever done! We had laughter and tears and some great friendships were formed on the Great Wall of China. An unforgettable experience. This time four years ago I was having cancer treatment and struggled to get up the stairs in my house and I can’t believe what I’ve just achieved! We arrived in China a group of strangers and came back a team. Everyone had their personal reasons for being there but all wanting to make a difference. Such an inspirational and wonderful group of people. I will always remember the last few days and how lucky I was to experience them.” Karen Burge, Great Wall of China Trekker 2014
“Being part of a trekking group is a really fulfilling experience and a great way to meet new people, explore and take in different cultures and to challenge yourself in a new environment. You’ll encounter both lows and highs as you face perhaps trekking in the hot Cambodian sun, or hiking up steep inclines in the Himalayan Mountains. But what keeps you going is knowing that the money you are raising will support those who will face cancer in their lifetime, or other illnesses that require the support and services of the RUH. Raising funds doesn’t have to be difficult and can be a lot of fun, you can do cake sales, donations, book sales, auctions, tea parties, car washing and more. Every penny counts. So go on – have fun doing it and help make a difference at the RUH!”
Lindsay Hobbs, Peru Trekker 2017