We’ve teamed up with the Bake Cake Company to launch an exciting new baking competition as part of the Appeal’s brand new fundraising event for the RUH: Ted’s Big Bake Off.
Fancy getting involved to compete for some amazing prizes? All you have to do is follow the cupcake recipe provided by Bath Cake Company and decorate with your very own teddy bear design. Take a photograph of your creation and send in to the Bath Chronicle (please see below for email address)
There are two categories: Over 18s and Under 18s.
1. Over 18s prize: One place on The Bath Cake Company’s Classic Cupcake Decorating class (worth £65) (Valid for 1 year, non-transferable)
2. Under 18s prize: One place on the Kids Cupcakes (7 years +) course which is worth £20 (Valid for 1 year, non-transferable)
Entries will close on Tuesday, September 1, 2015.
Your photos will be uploaded to an online gallery at www.bathchronicle.co.uk/TedsBigBakeOff from Thursday September 3 for members of public to vote for their favourite-looking cake via an online poll. Closing date for votes will be 12pm noon Friday, September 18.
The top three voted-for cakes from each category will move through to the bake-off stage and the six bakers will be invited into the Royal United Hospital on Monday, October 5 where their cakes will be judged by a special judging panel including Celia Adams, Award Winning Baker and Founder of the Bath Cake Company and a winner for each category chosen.
All competition participants should follow the vanilla cupcake recipe exactly but feel free to get creative with the decoration (as long as it’s teddy bear inspired)!
For the cupcakes….
150g real salted butter
150g caster sugar
3 free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
150 self-raising flour
1-2 tbsp milk
For the buttercream…
450g icing sugar
175g softened butter
A splash of milk
Method for cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ 160C Fan/ Gas Mark 4 and line your cupcake tin with cases.
2. Cream your butter and sugar together until they are well mixed.
3. Add your eggs and vanilla extract with a small amount of flour and beat together until you have a smooth consistency.
4. Fold in your flour until you have a smooth cake batter.
5. Use a tablespoon to fill your cupcake cases about 2/3 full.
6. Bake in the oven for around 20-25 minutes until the sponge bounces back when you press it.
7. Leave to cool before adding buttercream.
Method for buttercream:
- Beat the butter until it’s smooth and begin adding the icing sugar and milk until you have a smooth consistency.
- Try piping a buttercream swirl with a star nozzle to decorate your cupcakes, or create a smooth finish by spreading your buttercream on to your cupcakes.
HOW TO ENTER: Email your photos, along with your name, age and contact number to: Tedsbigbakeoff@localworld.co.uk
For terms and conditions visit www.bathchron.co.uk/houserules